|I was still deciding here what the best posture would be, therefore one lad has two heads. Pentimento.|
Pastel Sketch on Cardboard.
So, I just scrolled through this blog and found several old posts that mention the project below. It took several years as it went through various stages and via various methods. In the end I settled on what I have below.
I noticed on re-reading posts about the project that I never actually explained what I had resolved to do and I never mentioned when it was finished. This last oversight might be due to being sick at the time it was completed....but more than likely just a lapse of my memory.
For anyone who happened to read those posts, here is the finished picture.
I decided to paint the children as a 'paint by numbers' image. I then painted the faces fairly realistically but approached everything else with a simpler approach. Something of a failed experiment maybe. My earliest experiences painting, five years old or so, seem to have been with some kind of paint by numbers kit. I remember being amazed by the way the picture came about by just putting the colours where I was told. Someone was with me, my mother I'm sure, it's a vague memory.
But putting the colours in the right place is still exciting. Only now, I make that decision, and I don't always get it right. In fact, despite the agony, all the real fun and learning is in getting it wrong.
In the case of the boys in the painting, the older boy is drawing himself in to the picture. Some early self determination right there. The younger playing with a model tram. Although the foreground is 'unpainted' or deliberately incomplete. I painted the roll to stand out as quite realistic. This is a uniquely Czech form of bread. I think they are delicious, not everybody likes them. For many friends a 'rohlik' and a cup of tea was their Grannies cure-all growing up.
I wish I'd done a better job or had the courage to not paint the boys at all and leave them as line art in a fully painted room, that would have been better. Next time maybe.
I also took reasonably good pictures in close up but failed to take good over all shots of the completed image. Ho hum. You can explore it below.